This is my first post and first blog… so hello to any readers out there.
What is Web 2.0? I think this image sums it up pretty well
Whether its YouTube, Facebook, Wikipedia or Twitter ive used them in copias amounts over the last 5 years. This new form of media is traversing all elements of our daily lives whether it be politicians using twitter during this election buildup, record labels signing up young singers thanks to a video hit on YouTube or the ability to find a friend you haven’t spoken too in 8 years. Having used Facebook over the last couple of years im relatively accustomed to sharing my opinion with friends and family.
In spite of this im not 100% sold on the idea that anyone in the world other than these friends or family would want to read my blog or thoughts. Despite this everyday there are millions of people around the world updating or reading blogs that are of virtually any topic. So to get a better understanding of why people are doing this, i decided to research the advantages of blogging for enterprises… heres what i found:
Advantages of Blogging
- Blogs boost online branding, they create and awareness of your product/service
- They provide an approachable “human face” for the business
- Blogs provide an excellent way of sharing information/knowledge
- Blog feeds can be distributed as RSS
- Blogs allow you to interact with your customer base through commenting
- Blogs build up the profile of the author. The firm/author will be showcased as having talent/expertise
- Blogs create an environment where not only the author, but all the participants can share ideas and opinions on a diverse range of subjects and learn from each other.
- Blogs are search-engine-friendly
- Blogs provide a great tool for media and PR. The cost benefits of blogging are “peanuts” compared to tv or newspaper campaign
Although this blog was initially set up for the basis of a class chosen for an IT degree at QUT, if it achieves some of the advantages outlined previous it may be something i choose to continue as a method of self advertising.
One blogger that has come in contact with many of these advantages is Sacha Chua, who has developed a writing style that draws in many thousands of readers each week. Her blog covers anything from Web 2.0 and Enterprise 2.0, Cooking, Presentation and communication skills and plenty more. Due to these wide areas of topics the community she has built up over the last 8 years is hugely diverse and from all around the world providing a wide range of mainly constructive comments and opinions that can only be seen as a positive towards her work.
Some examples of her web 2.0 and enterprise 2.0 work can be found by clicking the following links:
As shown by these entries we have only tapped the surface of what web 2.0 could do to our personal lives let alone the impact it could have in the coming years in enterprise.